The following is a list of the positive effects of going for a single 15 minute walk.
- Alertness – a single walk can have the stimulatory effect of a single coffee
- Mood – walking increases endorphin (feel-good hormone) release
- Bone Mass – stimulates the weight-bearing mechanism that helps maintain bone mass
- Arthritis – maintains joint flexibility, relieves pain by lubricating your joints with fluid
- Cardiovascular – maintains your lung and heart muscles
- Muscles – activates muscles in all parts of your body, maintaining muscle tone
- Metabolism – increases metabolism, decreasing your chances of diabetes and obesity
Before beginning a walking program, consult a health care professional to make sure you are fit for walking and raising your heart rate.
It is a good idea to start slowly, wear comfortable shoes, and start a program with a partner. Including a walking program at work is easy: do small meetings, lunch breaks or coffee breaks while walking outside. For any more ideas beginning a walking program, ask our professionals for advice.